There is a growing need for new homes in the local area. Delivery of new homes is incredibly important to ensure people can move to the area, and people can move within their community.
The site is allocated within the draft North Hertfordshire Local Plan for residential development, contributing towards the need for North Hertfordshire to deliver 15,950 homes by 2031. The Local Plan is due to be examined in public this Autumn and adopted thereafter.
While the allocation is within North Hertfordshire, Lower Stondon and Henlow are within Central Bedfordshire. We recognise that residents on all sides may be affected and we will ensure that funding is split, on a cross-border basis to fund vital facilities that residents use.
The local plan policy for this site states that the site requires:
- Appropriate junction access arrangements to Bedford Road;
- Sensitive integration into existing settlement, particularly in terms of design, building orientation and opportunities for cycle and pedestrian access;
- Sensitive incorporation of Footpaths Ickleford 001 & 002 as green route through and around the edge of the site;
- No residential development within Flood Zone 2 or 3;
- Incorporate ordinary watercourses (and any appropriate measures) and address existing surface water flood risk issues within comprehensive green infrastructure and / or SUDS approach;
- Development proposals to be informed by site-specific landscape and heritage assessment
- Development-free buffer along eastern edge of site to minimise harm to adjacent listed building;
- Archaeological survey to be completed prior to development.